Saturday 19 May 2012

A little gig for me and some big news from the harp world

A few weeks ago Gemma, a very old school friend of mine, came to one of my concerts and asked me if I was free on a Saturday in June. I said yes thinking she meant her birthday but she told me about a summer ball she is organising is to raise funds for her charity The Lighthouse Centre. I've known Gemma from the age of 5 and I don't remember her ever wanting to be anything other than a nurse. She probably never remembers me wanting to be anything other than a musician. After a few years in nursing she realised there was a greater need for long term care at home and set up The Lighthouse Centre which offers support and therapies for people with long term conditions. Having followed my progress on the harp she asked if I would be interested in playing my harp at the ball. I immediately accepted which prompted shrieks of delight on both sides but then I had to seriously think about whether I was up to this sort of performing.

Up until now the most I have had to prepare for a single performance is three pieces for an exam. While this gig would be background music I would still need a good half hour of music, I totted up what I would manage and it came to about 10 minutes. My usual tricks of playing slowly and adding repeats might get it to just over 15 but people would probably notice if I went through the same programme again. So over the last few weeks I have revised all of my exam pieces so far, worked on the new grade 4 pieces and added a few from other books. Practise has been particularly varied as I haven't been able to get through everything each time so I've had to focus on grade 4 and rotate all the others. I won't be able to memorise the whole lot I have had to get used to playing while reading, not something I am fond of as I lose my place in the music when I look at the harp then lose my strings when I glance at the music! However as it is background I can probably get away with the odd wrong note and it will be a great chance to try out my grade 4 pieces in preparation for the exam in July. Having been inspired by Claire Jones (and more news from her shortly) I am actually looking forward to wearing a dress!

News has come out today that Claire will be recording her new album for Classic FM tomorrow (Sunday) and Monday with music arranged and composed by Chris Marshall, her fiance, accompanied by the English Chamber Orchestra. It will be conducted by Stuart Morley another old friend from college and who was a GOAT sponsor on day 19. It will certainly make a change for Stu who is usually to be found conducting We Will Rock You in London. The album is due to be released in September shortly after Claire and Chris's wedding. 2012 is certainly proving to be an exciting year for them. I know from seeing updates from Chris that both he and Claire have worked particularly hard in getting the music ready for recording and I really look forward to hearing the finished album! More information is here: http://www.clairejones.co.uk/

1 comment:

  1. How exciting regarding the Summer Ball -- I'm sure it will be a fantastic night and that you will do just fine :) Good luck and do post about how it all goes!

    I have been reading a great book called "The Musician's Way" by Gerald Klickstein, and he shares his method for getting the most out of practice -- complete with downloadable worksheets from his Web site. You may want to check it out if you are not familiar with it already: http://musiciansway.com/practice.shtml

    I am so excited to hear about Claire's new album. I love her Highgrove Suite so something new from her will be very special -- just like her wedding. How wonderful!

    Best,

    Heather
    http://www.dragonharp.com

    ReplyDelete