Sunday 10 June 2012

A lesson and a recording session

If things had gone to plan I would have spent this blog reminiscing about my gig at the ball last night but as it happened I stayed in and watched the telly as the ball got postponed to October. I knew this a while ago but hadn't got round to updating the blog. I'd practised hard learning various pieces but knowing it was to be in October came as a bit of a relief as it gives me more time to prepare. So it's more focus on the grade 4 pieces now. I had a lesson with Rohan who is now making more suggestions about technique including finger and hand position. She has mentioned this before but it is now much more specific and she is able to show how my current technique sounds and what a change in fingers will sound like. It's subtle but I'm noticing it. There was a lot to take in so I scribbled a few points down in my notebook and have been thinking about them since. She liked what I was doing so far though.

After I had played Rohan and I recorded a couple of pieces for clarinet and harp that I will use at some stage for mine and Chris's wedding ceremony. The Prelude from Victorian Kitchen Garden is a favourite of both of us and we have performed it before so had a quick rehearsal then went for a take. After two attempts at the introductions featuring a couple of rare squeaks from me we nailed it. One of my early clarinet pieces was the Entr'Acte from Carmen, for flute and harp in the original but arranged for clarinet and piano and on the grade 3 clarinet list. This transfers well for harp so after a qick practise we got that one recorded too. That will please my Mum as that was one of her favourites in my first year or two of playing the clarinet.

I have a lot coming up over the next few weeks but hope to find time to get a recording or two done of my grade 4 pieces. While it is expected that grade 4 is harder than grades 1 to 3, it is like the stepping stones are further apart and so a lot more mental effort and technical competence is needed going from 3 to 4, than from 2 to 3.

I also need a new top F string so I will have to practise my knot-tying again. I'd best set aside a good hour for that task!

No comments:

Post a Comment