Monday 2 March 2015

Hapus Dydd Gŵyl Dewi

With a free weekend I was able to get back into practising properly again. Saturday's session was for Pat, who made another donation shortly after our violin and piano session during half term! Proper warm ups included some finger exercises I haven't done in a while before working on the longer studies and then Manha de Carnaval as my main piece. I practised two of Pat's violin accompaniments on the harp, Handel Minuet and The Sandman by Brahms. The Sandman is quite tricky as there are a few quick lever changes but they are getting there and I might be able to play this for Pat next time I see her!

Look what popped through the post on Saturday morning just in time for St. David's Day!
Latest CD from Claire Jones!

I have listened to it and it is lovely, a real range of beautiful melodies from folk and classical worlds, themes and Chris Marshall's new piece Bluestone. There is a concert on Thursday 5 March at St. John's Smith Square. Sadly I can't go as I will be rehearsing elsewhere but hopefully Claire will gradually make her way around the country again. I thought things had gone a little quiet over the last year or so but she has been recovering from ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome).The album is to raise awareness of this awful condition as well as raise funds for charities which support those receiving treatment, recovering and coping with the condition.

I know from following Claire on the social media site that she has been giving interviews about her latest album and concert tour. On Sunday she was on Classic FM talking about the last few years and what she has been through. I knew ME was a debilitating illness but had assumed it was extreme tiredness and did not realise it is much more than that. To feel so unwell not to be able to get out of bed, nor look after yourself was even worse than I had imagined. Claire said she used music as part of her recovery. Bluestone by Chris, Claire's hsuband, takes its inspiration from the Preseli mountains not far from Claire's home in Pembrokeshire where Chris would drive Claire when she felt well enough to go out. It was a lovely interview and Clarie sounded so bright, very much as I remember her from meeting her a few years ago.

My practise session on Sunday afternoon was for Jess and Rob following a similar pattern to yetsterday but focussing on the Scarlatti instead. I need to set myself a new routine now and try and make the technical improvements needed to master each of the pieces. I think I need a lesson so will get in touch with Rohan and see if she can spare me half an hour over the next few weeks!

On Sunday evening I went to a chamber opera (three singers, clarinet, cello and piano) which was composed by Kate, one of the GOAT clarinettists. She gave me a flyer at the end of the rehearsal last Sunday so I went along on Sunday evening. It was called Porcelain and Pink and based on the short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It was very amusing, and well written and performed, a great way to round off the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment