Friday 19 August 2011

Final preparations for France

Tomorrow morning I will be setting off for France to take part in the Learning Orchestra's 3rd Summer Course in Lumieres, Provence. I will join 22 others hopefully all arriving sometime on Sunday evening. Most of the others are travelling by Eurostar and I would have done that but myself and the double bassist will not be risking the train with our oversized instruments so are driving. I am travelling with Katy, one of my grade-1-a-thon sponsors, herself a clarinettist and it will be good to have some company on the journey. Katy has also lived in France so is probably a little more competent at the language than I am. I already know the French for harp - 'harpe' (but don't pronounce the first 'h') and would like to improve my A level French a little while I am out there. My musical preparations have included practising Elgar's Chanson de Nuit, then re-writing it then practising it again. The original part is just a little too complicated for lever harp so I rearranged some of the chords and missed a large chunk out. It should work though.

I have had to read up on driving in France and have kitted my car out with all the necessary emergency equipment. I will also have to adjust my driving style, not just shifting the the right hand side but also to try not to use the gestures usually required on the A14 or M25. Unless something goes seriously wrong with the Sat-nav we should avoid Paris and get to Dijon tomorrow evening and Avignon by tea time on Sunday.

I'm taking the laptop and am hoping to update regularly if I can find any wireless connections in the area. If not I'll just have to do a mammoth write up when I get back.

Bonjour!

No comments:

Post a Comment