Friday 26 August 2011

France Day 7: Il pleut, and a mistral

The mistral is a strong wind that blows down the Rhone valley, sometimes at up to 90 km per hour. There was quite a blustery wind this morning when I went down to breakfast although someone suggested that it would need to be stronger than today's to be classed as a mistral. It certainly was fierce but remained sunny with some cloud appearing in the afternoon. The morning rehearsal covered most of our pieces again, stopping much less frequently now to sort things out. Tiredness was creeping in and there are some sillier mistakes as players lose concentration because they feel they know the music. However concentration levels still need to be high.

After a swim I explored another of the footpaths and headed to the Chapelle Saint-Michel, a tiny chapel up the hill.
Chapell Saint-Michel
There was a shrine opposite the chapel which had offerings and prayers written on stones. I'm not one for following any sort of faith but am always intrigued by, and interested in, how faiths and traditions have set in over time. The prayers were all in French and were quite general but one had caught Anita's eye the previous day as it was asking for a new knee. I too saw it and while we did hope that whoever it was had a successful operation we also wondered how they had managed to get up there in the first place to leave the note as it was quite a steep climb. Since I've been here I've wondered if I might want a new knee or two by the time I get back. The knees of a mountain goat would be extremely useful for this area. The views from here were again stunning and photos don't really do it justice. Here are a couple anyway:
Looking towards Goult

View over the hotel
On the way back I saw another footpath leading down. It wasn't the one I had planned to take but as it went in the way I wanted (downwards) I started clambering down. Some way down it got particularly steep and I wondered if I had done the right thing. It would have been even harder to go back upwards but as I paused to get my breath I caught the strains of a flute drifting up the hillside. I thought if I followed the sounds I would come across Pan in his hillside retreat playing to his flock of sheep and guiding poor lost souls down from the rocky paths. As I got closer I thought it odd that Pan would be familiar with the music of Elgar but then realised it was Philip practising Chanson de Nuit in the open. I followed the music although as I got closer I could hear the beep beep of the metronome which reduced the mysticism but at least Philip was practising in a useful way! I got a sneaky photo then sat down on the bench for a rest and a chat. This is the first time he has played a part on his own within an ensemble. Usually there are several on a part and so he is hoping to become more confident in his playing. This is a huge challenge for him but I think he is noticing the improvements in his playing.
Is it Pan? No, it's Phil practising some Elgar!
At 5 we had a short rehearsal and polished off Vivaldi's The Hunt, Schubert's 3rd symphony movements, Haydn Trumpet Concerto and the Delibes suite. We set up under the arches in the dining area and our concert began at 7. It began well but the wind suddenly picked up and the heavens opened along with some lightening and some thunder. Music got blown about and the leader stopped playing at one point because he was distracted by the weather! He assumed we'd all just stop and was politely encouraged to join in again with the rest of us. We were under shelter and people did stay to listen by joining us where we were or by sheltering in the doorway.

Capacity crowd just before the rain came
 After the success we all feel our day off tomorrow is well deserved. A few people are getting the bus to Avignon but I have opted to go on the organised coach tour around some local villages. Hope the weather is a little brighter in the morning!

Salut!


No comments:

Post a Comment