Friday 14 October 2011

Changing a string

One of my C strings snapped earlier in the week. I hadn't noticed it going and just saw the string hanging off on Monday morning. I've not had to change one before as the last one that went was on the hired harp and that went the day before it was returned so it was replaced at Pilgrims. Rohan is happy to come out and replace them but she's busy and I'm busy so I thought the easiest thing would be for me to order my own and have a go. How hard can it be?! Well, firstly it's not a simple re-order like it might be on the violin or guitar as not only do you need to know which note you need, in my case 'C', you also need to know which octave it is. After checking my chart I knew it was the 2nd octave 'C' which is one of the top strings. While I was waiting for the new string I was a little limited with my practise as several pieces do need the C. I tried finding an alternative note but this was too hard and you realise just how quickly you learn the shapes and patterns within a piece. It is very off putting to have a string missing. I was able to practise Gavotte as this doesn't need a C and there were a few other folk tunes that I found I could manage. The string had arrived by the time I got in from work today so I set about attaching it to my harp.
Old string and new string
I did have instructions so used these to work out how to tie the knot but this was hard for more than one reason. The string is sent curled up as above so wouldn't straighten out easily. I did learn some knots while in the Girl Guides but wasn't very good and can't remember the names of them, let alone how to tie them. You have to tie the knot around the extra bit of gut that holds the end of the tring inside the harp. Here's my first attempt at a knot:
Comparing my knot with the suggested knot
Realising that the loop bit was the wrong side of the knot I had to start again. Then when I thought I'd got it right I put it through the hole in the soundboard but the larger bit fell out because the knot was not tight enough. I had to fish it out from inside the harp. Once that was finally in I had to work out which way round the string went through the tuning pin. Two possible ways and I got the wrong way first. I think it is done but took a few photos to send to Rohan so she can advise me.
Before
After


You get more than you need for your string and I think you are supposed to cut the extra bit off but I've left it for now in case I've done anything wrong!
Last stage: attaching to the tuning pin
I've emailed Rohan some of the pictures and am nervously waiting for a reply.

In other harp news this week harpist Claire Jones performed on the Chris Evans Breakfast show in honour of the Welsh rugby team playing in the world cup semi-final tomorrow so after hearing some of her playing on the way to work I felt inspired to do a little more practise and to make the most of my harp before another string goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment