Saturday 8 October 2011

How's the practise going...?

I find it difficult to say no to things, especially if there is a fee, or free food, or it will be an enjoyable experience. If it's all three then that's when I really appreciate my job! I have a few projects that I am working on at the moment including concerts for several of my ensembles, arranging music for some weekend woodwind courses and clarinet playdays. I've been on a team with my professional society organising some workshops (one of which is entitled 'Managing stress in the practice of music'. Very useful). As if this wasn't enough I have taken on a new sideline career as a journalist. I already write reviews of clarinet music which is great fun but I am working on a little article about a recent BBC project called Scrapheap Orchestra. There will be a documentary on BBC4 at some point soon but in short several leading instrument makers were asked to build instruments for members of the BBC Concert Orchestra for one of the Prom concerts. Fine, the makers thought, until they learned that everything had to be made of scrap and other people's rubbish. One of the woodwind makers lives in Cambridge so I went to interview him earlier in the week. I can't give too much away here but it is a fascinating story and to see a couple of the instruments close up was equally brilliant. One of the impressions I came away with was that we spend so long trying to perfect our first choice instrument, investing time and money to achieve perfect results, that when something unexpected happens we are reluctantly forced to adapt. Then we whinge about it! Scrapheap Orchestra challenges that idea, as well as challenging a whole lot more besides! However I have not quite settled into my new role yet. Ten minutes into my interview I realised I'd not turned my microphone on. I still have a lot to learn!

Of course you may be thinking these are really just excuses for not having done any harp practise recently, rather like my pupils who blame everything from a new puppy to their sister's broken finger for not having had the chance to get their instruments out in the week. Not so! I have been quietly plodding away on my grade 3 pieces and I have managed to work on the ensemble pieces that myself Robyn and Anne have been playing. Rohan gave me some exercises to help with the scale patterns in the Study and that has helped a little. The Grandjany Barcarolle has improved since the Music on the Close concert and I have relearned that last line as I had been playing it incorrectly. This will be ready for a recording soon. I have two other pieces that I am deciding between for my list A choice. I am gradually working through both and will decide by the end of October.

I have an orchestral concert this evening in Cambridge. The programme includes a piece by Mark-Antony Turnage called On Opened Ground and it is a viola concerto. It is difficult, not least because it is a viola concerto, and that includes the rests where I'm not playing as I have to count. I am on bass clarinet and have had to learn the very low notes that I don't usually have to worry about. Even as a clarinettist my little fingers are not used to this much activity. The only positive thing is that this is developing my low note skills, presumably for the next time I play some Turnage! Rohan is playing the harp part in this and I watched her in the rehearsal when I could afford to relax during my rests. Her part is also immensely difficult and her feet are getting plenty of exercise as the pedal changes are fast and furious. I may pull faces when I go wrong but Rohan does need to watch her language during the performance! Knowing that Rohan has considerable faith in my potential harping abilities I casually asked her if she thought I'd manage the harp part. The instant and firm "NO!" shocked me at first but then when I saw the part I was secretly glad I would probably not get asked to stand in if Rohan was suddenly indisposed to appear. I'll let you know how we both get on! I've just got time for a spot of my own harp practise before going out.

No comments:

Post a Comment