Saturday 31 December 2011

A year of harping

As 2011 draws to a close I have taken a few moments out of eating too much, drinking too much and being with family and friends to reflect on my first year of playing the harp. My initial aim at the start of the year was to get to grade 1 standard and raise a bit of money for a worthy cause. That was achieved in style by the end February and grades 2 and 3 were also managed. I had enough saved up to get my own harp and enjoyed seeing the workshops where it was made.

I made some great new friends as I found other harpists to play with including Robyn who has also continued from the grade 1-a-thon, Anne B who I knew already as a flautist but now as a harpist, and Anne from the Clarsach Society who organises playing afternoons across the south-east. It has been great getting to know Rohan, my incredibly patient teacher and I hope to have a few more lessons from her over the coming few months as we start to sort out my technique.

I took part in an orchestral course and drove across France to get there learning early on that even the small harps are better off in cars rather than travelling by train or plane. I have begun to meet some well known harpists including Danielle Perret and I have seen Sioned Williams in performance although from a long way off in the Royal Albert Hall. Next year I hope to meet a few more and look forward to seeing Claire Jones in Ipswich in January and Catrin Finch in November at the ACE Foundation's Harp Playday.

My new hobby introduced me to books such as Harpo Marx's biography and Maiden Voyage by Sarah Deere-Jones both of which were amusing and beautiful portrayals of interesting and, at times, exciting lives. Sarah runs courses down in Cornwall and I hope to get to one of these at some point soon. Next year will hopefully see me take grade 4 and maybe grade 5 if all goes well. I could well be taking part in the Cambridge festival and I may be involved with a new harp festival taking place in Surrey in the summer. The harp trio with Robyn and Anne may see us start to perform provide we can improve a little more and it would be good to get involved in some more playdays and courses. Then of course there is mine and Chris's wedding to plan which will involve as much music as possible. I will hopefully keep track of my progress through the blog and may record a few new pieces over the next few months. 2012 is already looking likely to be as packed as 2011 so for now Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment