Thursday 9 July 2015

Grade 6 result...

I knew exam mark sheets were being posted out yesterday so I rushed home from school only to find my first private pupil of the day had arrived a couple of minutes early. I saw the envelope on the mat within a large pile of post but had to put it to one side while we did her lesson. An hour of advanced clarinet sight-reading later and I found the envelope and opened it trying not to appear to be too desperate even though no one was actually watching! I unfolded the sheets, turned them the right way, checked the name (my one was on top) and saw the mark... 82... a merit!! Marvellous! I checked Hannah's underneath and she had also got a merit so I am absolutely delighted for her as she has worked very hard while doing her AS level exams. (Of course these marks are provisional until the "results are confirmed by the issue of a certificate (or otherwise)" as stated on the report form. I have not know this happen but it is a procedure in place just in case something has gone wrong somewhere along the way.)

My best piece was Manha de Carnaval, while the Scarlatti was just over the pass mark and all other marks were well within the merit categories. Even the improvisation, which I probably wouldn't have paid good money to listen to, scored 8/10 so he heard some evidence of musical ability there. The phrase 'a little hesitant' cropped up in a few places so that is something to work on in future.

As to the future... I have two weddings to provide music for. The first is in August and is for my cousin Greg and his fiancee Libby. I am playing for the church service, background music as guests arrive and a couple of pieces during the signing of the register. They have given me free reign on music but I've already decided to do Bach C major Prelude. Then in November I will be playing for Alice, the sister of Jess, one of my closest friends and whose wedding I played at last year. (We had practised the Bach Prelude for Jess to walk down the aisle but she got there so quick we played about 8 bars!) Jess will be on flute for at least a couple of pieces. I have a long list to try out and have also been asked if I can do some Bob Marley as Alice's husband-to-be is into Reggae. I always like a challenge so will experiment with arranging Three Little Birds and Is This Love for flute and harp!

To Grade 7 or not to Grade 7...?
The new repertoire lists for Trinity came out a week or so ago. I've already had a look although initially just to try out some new music but one piece caught my eye. She Moved Through the Fair is a folk tune, arranged by Alina Bzhezhinska for lever harp, and as this was one of the songs we sang at the GOAT Reunion concert in February. I guess I'll have to start with that one! Music is on order so as the term winds down I'll have plenty to keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment