Sunday 3 July 2011

A holiday with the harp

The school term is almost over and regular activites are gradually winding down. I now find a little time to write the blog, having done a good 50 minutes practise this evening (during Top Gear as I know I won't be disturbed). All is going well. The scales patterns are fine. I went through them in the order they appear on the syllabus but I should start mixing them up more to practise finding the right levers so I don't make the same mistake that I did in my grade 1 (B flat major with an A flat and B natural!). I'm still working with the metronome, moving it up each time that I practise. Scales are now at 124 and arpeggios at 108. The arpeggios feel a lot better. I was a bit worried about those as the stretches are wider than the scales so there's more room for error. The pieces feel great although Goblin Rustle is not as memorised as I would like it to be. My practise sessions still include lots of other pieces that I enjoy playing as having played a wide range of styles will be useful preparation fro the sight-reading. As for performance practise I had the chance to play to an audience this week. It was Chris's birthday on Thursday and his parents popped round so I played When Bagpipes Play and Mountain Stream to them. They appeared to enjoy the performance.

Exciting news... I had a phone call to say my new harp has been finished and is ready for collection but due to commitments in my diary every day until the end of term I won't be able to pick it up until after my exam.

So far I have done most of the things the amatuer musician does such as taking lessons, purchasing the best affordable equipment and reading books about the instrument and players. One thing I have not yet done is gone on a course, either for a single day, a weekend or a whole week. I run lots of these sort of courses for woodwind players and know how enjoyable they are. Participants tell me they feel they learn a huge amount in a short space of time and the opportunity to be completely immersed in the playing helps them forget their regular lives and all it's stresses. Internet searches have offered a variety of courses for the aspiring harpist but the one I have chosen to attend this year was suggested by some members of the Palace Band. Alan, an oboist and sponsor, also plays with the Learning Orchestra which is a London-based ensemble open to grades 4 and above, giving less experienced players the chance to play with an orchestra. They have an annual course in Provence in August so after some deliberation and financial consideration I signed up.
The conductor was delighted to hear there would be a harp although I'll take my clarinet for the pieces that won't need the harp. We stay in a lovely venue somewhere near Avignon and rehearsals take place in the mornings and late afternoons giving us time in the day to go on trips, or swim in the pool or visit the nearby village. It all sounds idyllic.

I felt it would be easier to drive down rather than get the train and will have the company of Katy, another sponsor and clarinettist, who has lived in France and speaks French a little better than I do. At the end of the week we give a concert to local villagers then Katy and I will drive back hopefully more skilled than we were before we set off. I will be able to see some of the music before the course so am looking forward to having something else to practise when my grade 2 is over... assuming I pass...

No comments:

Post a Comment