Thursday 14 July 2011

The lesson

I went round to Rohan's this morning for my last lesson before my grade 2 exam. After catching up with the gossip I tuned my harp then played When Bagpipes Play. She asked if I was going to lift my right elbow at some point to which I replied my imaginary balloon holding my elbow up had not yet been inflated so I used an imaginary pump to inflate it and had another go. I really must remember to lift my elbow before starting to play as the sound is much better. Rohan also said the fortes can be much stronger. I do need to practise this as when I play really loudly I lose control of my fingers. Rohan told me to make more of the phrasing, slowing gently at the end of one section giving me time to thin about what's coming next and to let the music breathe a litte. She said harpists use that as a trick for difficult bits, and get away with it! The other two pieces were generally fine but again I could do much more with the dynamics but just need the confidence to play more loudly when required.

Rohan tested me on some sight-reading and she showed me the scales charts she uses for her own pupils. I'm happy with my scales but will design something similar to what she uses for the next exam (assuming I pass this one first...). I learnt about a new course taking place next year through the ACE Foundation. I have worked on calrinet and saxophone courses run by Trevor and the team at ACE and they are particularly well organised and enjoyed by all who attend. Rohan is co-ordinating a harp course for Novermber 2012 and has been in discussion with a very well known harpist to run the actual day. Rohan is hoping to attract 100 student harpists, including all 40 of her current students.

I let Rohan know that I was off to collect my new harp next week and she gave me some new music suggestions. If anything I am going to be doing more playing after my grade 2 to learn all the new material I am hoping to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment