Saturday 20 June 2015

Harps at the Grafton Centre

After dropping Chris off near Bury St Edmunds so he could collect his car from a garage I came home via Cambridge to hear the young harpists Bonnie and Rosie who were playing at the Grafton Centre. I did a little bit of shopping then found the harps outside the cafe area. The harpists were on a break so I said hello to mum Nyree. Also there was Frankie, a colleague from an old job, herself a musician and teacher so we caught up on the gossip and from Nyree I found out more about the harps and Diabetes UK, the charity for which they were raising money. I gave a donation and played Barcarolle on the 1815 Dodds harp. It had a beautiful ringing sound and a lovely soft feel to it, very easy to pluck. The sound was much like a harpsichord but with a greater resonance. It was very clear! I then tried the much newer (1885) Erard, again it had a lovely sound, louder and fuller than the Dodds.
Playing Grandjany on the Dodds & Son 1815

The Dodds was a single action meaning the pedals only have two positions, while the Erard was a double action so the pedals have three positions (double meaning the pedals move twice). Nyree has several more historic harps at home and has considerable knowledge about them all. Sadly I couldn't quite remember everything but it was great to see these two instruments as examples of the development of the harp. The Dodds was recently restored at Pilgrims (the makers of my own harp) and it is always lovely to see old instruments brought back to their former glory, and more importantly, being played and heard!

Dodds
Erard

One of the security team came over wanting a go so as I was almost in position I ended up giving her a very quick lesson. She enjoyed making a sound but her was restricted by her immensely long nails. I did fear she might do some damage, either to the nails or worse to one of the strings!

Bonnie, Rosie and friend Rachel returned and played a few pieces, solo and then a trio and other people stopped by wither to listen, chat or have a go. Dad Richard was also around and I noticed he had the perfect t-shirt. Apparently I was not the first to say to him "I want one of those for my roadie!" I now doubt that I will be the last either!

Just as I was leaving some friends of the girls arrived, at least one of whom was a harpist, so the playing continued. Their harp interests are not just in historic harps as Bonnie has been working on electronic looping techniques with her harp so I was given a link to listen to. I hope to hear more about that in the future. Many thanks to Nyree and the girls for being so welcoming and letting me play, and for taking the photo of me. I hope they raise a good amount for Diabetes UK!



No comments:

Post a Comment