Wednesday 24 June 2015

Fête de la musique

The big black cloud overhead as I set off didn't look like a great start but the weather forecast still said cloudy but dry. I made it to Pat and John's in the centre of Saffron Walden nice and early and dropped off my harp and bags near another pile of instruments for Walden Winds. I took the car up to Aunty Ann and Uncle Chris's, had a cup of tea and wandered back into town to find my venues and get my bearings. The town was fairly busy with a few musicians and green-t-shirted volunteers being briefed, enjoying the sunshine which had now appeared.
Tourist Information window

I met John just after 11 and he carried my harp through to my first venue, outside The Courtyard Cafe. There were already a few people at the tables and I met Isabella, one of the organisers. I kicked off my programme at 12 starting with an easy Grandjany tune. So far so good! There was a burst of applause from my designated volunteer although no one else joined in at that point so I carried on. 15 minutes later and I realised I'd got through almost all of my programme for this set so I had to go into the next set to get up to 25 minutes. However the applause had grown to at least two tables so I was feeling encouraged. I finished and got another round of applause from most of the tables around! I packed away and heard the first piece by the next act, a young cellist with a young accompanist playing a slow piece, possible by Faure, from memory and very musically played.
Outside the Courtyard Cafe
As he started his second I headed off to the Adnams Cellar which has it's own courtyard. A singer / sax player was performing to backing tracks, all slickly arranged and well played. I spotted a few friends and a few of the Walden Winds members and eventually my family arrived. I set up, got introduced and then it fell quiet...a little too quiet for my liking. It was more like a recital than a background performance and I remember thinking I hadn't signed up to this. I had been hoping to give very informal run-throughs of my grade 6 pieces without too much attention from by-standers so that did make me a little more nervous and there were stumbles and improvised poly-tonal accompaniments for a beat or two. I don't get this on the clarinet but as Doris (bass clarinet in Walden Winds) has said to me before "Now you know how we feel". Yes, thank you Doris!! Also the band in the Market Square were more than adequately amplified and I heard strains of a semi-familiar tune drifting through while I tried out one of my grade 6 pieces. Anyway at least those who came to more than one of my sets heard slightly different versions (combination of right-wrong notes) each time!

Ann and Chris bought me a pizza athough cousin Debbie stole a slice and we sat on the common eating lunch. I had a wander round hearing a few other groups and soaking up the atmosphere. Next stop was Jubilee Gardens where Walden Winds were due to play. We got set up and as we started playing Walden Winds became Walden Windy! A few loosely pegged sheets came away from stands and we missed a few bars here and there but otherwise it was an enjoyable performance. As we were at the top of a hill a few people at the bottom couldn't quite hear us as the sound didn't carry that well but those that moved up the hill then stayed when they could hear the standard!
Walden Winds
We finished and a sitar player took over showing just what a varied festival this was.  I said bye to the family and took the opportunity of a break to wander round hearing some of the other groups. I saw a lot of familiar faces enjoying the music including friends, pupils, colleagues and quite a few teachers from current and past schools, one of whom I'd not seen for four or five years. Some people had itineraries and had their whole day planned while others arrived and just wandered around. I headed back to John's place to find him having a rest. We chatted for a bit then it was time to go to the Cross Keys for my final set.

Roving Assistant!
There had been a little panic beforehand as the pub was very busy and we weren't sure if I would be heard but they had set aside some space for me and after the first piece I checked with Walden Wind member and fete volunteer Adam who was eating with his family and he said it carried fine. Others were eating their Sunday lunch and a small crowd gathered around me just to listen. About halfway through I spotted Beth and Maya, two members of my junior fan club. Both are promising musicians on piano and Beth also plays the cello. I played Evening Song for them as it was a tune they had both learned on the piano so I knew they would recognise that! A photographer from the Saffron Walden Reporter took a few shots so while I focussed on hand positions I forgot about notes so created yet another variation on the Bach C major Prelude. After 30 minutes I had run out of music and concentration was waning so I packed up and had a drink with Doris and Adam and his family. John was on another duty (at the Rock venue which was a few minutes out of town) so I took my harp and roved myself back to the Market Square to get the key from Pat.

After losing my assistant I had to do my own donkey work
After collecting my car (and getting tea and cake at Aunty Ann's!) I headed back to the Market Square to catch the end of The Hooligans (fantastic sound) and the start of the Grand Finale which was The Reavey Brothers and Friends. Two of the Friends were in the band that played at mine and Chris's wedding, one of whom Dan, is a fellow teacher. I also recognised Chas on trumpet, another teacher. They were excellent and the packed Market Square was in for a treat. I stayed for a few numbers then headed off into the sunset. It had been an amazing day and congratulations and a massive thank you to Pat, Isabella and Louise, the chief organisers and all the volunteers and helpers, who made sure the day went incredibly smoothly! Thanks also to all of the venues that provided space, refreshments and power to many of the performers and finally a big congratulations to all of the performers who provided such a varied programme throughout the day!



 

A packed Market Square

Grand Finale

No comments:

Post a Comment