Wednesday 16 February 2011

Day 45 - Post concert analysis

I managed a relaxed 30 minutes this evening and the session was dedicated to Fleur, a flautist and recent piccolist in Walden Winds. Fleur is another of the flautists I am hoping to play with in the future and she may even have got us a gig as there is a big anniversary in her family later in the year that will need some classy entertainment. Failing to come up with anyone else Fleur thought of me! Fleur is also a really good photographer so perhaps I'll get her to do my publicity shots for my first CD release. After the concert last night Rohan gave me a few pointers about my performance. She said on the whole hand position, thumbs and elbows looked good although there was still a bit of tension in my shoulders so I can think about that. She enjoyed the pieces (although I sometimes tell pupils that if I think encouragement will be more beneficial than honesty) and she suggested making more of the dynamics in Rondo and being less hard with the glissando in the Ball. Rohan demonstrated how the thumb should just glide effortlessly down the strings. That way I would also be less likely to make my thumb sore. Like a diligent pupil (coz I know Rohan will probably read this!) I considered all her points in my practice today. The dynamics in Rondo range from piano (soft), through mezzo forte (fairly strong), forte (strong) to fortissimo (very strong). To get the range I needed to plan four different levels so played the first phrase at each of the levels to see if I could get a clear difference. I can currently get two levels - next to non-existant and super strong - so will need to refine my technique to get a couple more levels in between. Feeling confident after yesterday's performance I then moved onto some older pieces and had a look at some of the other grade 1 pieces just to see if there was anything else that could take the place of Rondo. I think I will stick with Betty Paret's little ditty now though and will include it in my next performance which is for the Palace Band on Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment