Tuesday 22 February 2011

Day 51 - What the school holidays are really for

Half term means I can do lots of activities that I wouldn't normally get the chance to do during a normal working week. Top of the list is a lie-in and I easily managed that today. However I did get up just in time to do a practise session from 10.30 to 11. I prefer to practise in the afternoon or evening but as my exam will be at 10.45 I need to get used to these early starts! The fingers take a bit of warming up but as long as I remember to take Rondo at a slightly slower pace I should be able to keep everything under control. It was then off for lunch at Jess's with Janine (from Day 43), Margaret and Jess (both at the Wreck-cital). Jess did a lovely lasagne and I played a couple of my pieces afterwards. I am growing fond of the idea of becoming a peripatetic harpist, playing my five minute recital in return for a meal and a spot of company! While Jess finished clearing up Janine and Margaret tested me on my scales. Naturally they chose E flat major first as they thought it was the hardest one. Of course you should know by now this is the easiest as you don't need any levers on. They enjoyed my little performance and Lullaby went quite well. I still need the music but almost have this from memory now.

Margaret had bought along a video clip that she had taken of a harpist busking in the subway at South Kensington underground station. His harp was taller than mine so he played standing up. His pillar looked more like a banister pole than an ornate, beautifully shaped harp pillar. He was playing a Latin piece which was different and really entertaining.

I went home and had a lovely afternoon with Derek (who has promised to become a sponsor soon!), a clarinet and soprano saxophone player with the Palace Band. He brought along a piece that he has written and hopes to arrange for the band at some point. I've mentioned many amateur musicians and the instruments they play and while some of them improvise from time to time Derek is the first I can think of who has written something original. It was lovely stuff starting with some rich jazz chords and the hint of a Satie Gymnopedie followed by a Latin influenced middle section which will have some opportunity for improvisation. Derek has a clear idea of what he wants so we discussed ideas and suggestions to develop it into an ensemble piece. He left me with a copy of what he has written so far and I had a little go on the harp. I thought it worked quite nicely but Derek is the composer so I'll let him be the final judge! After tea I got another 30 minutes in on Lullaby, exam pieces and GOAT Music. There is one passage in GOAT Music where the composer Jeremy Thurlow has asked to change the C lever to C sharp for three glissandi (sliding your finger from the bottom string to the top string of the harp). Rohan has advised leaving it out as it's too much but I have worked out a sneaky way of changing to C sharp. As my right hand does the glissando my left hand keeps one step in front changing the C levers along the way. It might just work!

No comments:

Post a Comment