Tuesday 17 February 2015

Days 41-45 SYD

The rest of the evenings of this week were taken up with a show at one of my schools. Always one of my favourite weeks of the year as the MD Jan (2011 GOAT Top Flautist) does a quiz which keeps the band quiet during the dialogue on stage. The first section usually involves filling in blanks from lines from the show. One point for a correct answer, 2 for an amusing one, bonus points if you make Jan laugh out loud when she marks them. The aim is usually to include answers that have a dig at any other members of the band. The final section is either to answer an essay question or draw a picture. I won the West Side Story Quiz last year so was reigning champion. Winning is hard enough but defending my title will be even harder as the reeds especially are a highly competitive bunch! This was Jan's last show and she is going out on Guys & Dolls, one of my favourite shows to play so I am sure it will be riotous week. I did a god job and my picture (of a praying tomato) got a bonus point as I took the time to colour it in, but I still managed to only come joint third. Still, it was a great week and the students performed brilliantly as usual.

I saw very little of the harp, just short practise sessions with teeny elements of progress. I have gone back over the ensemble pieces (Highly Strung and Altogether Now). I also have new motivation in the for of a harp performance for Kirsty. She is organising a concert with one of her choirs (I have lost count of the number of choirs she runs but I think it is two) and they will be singing Eriskay Love Lilt which works rather well with a simple harp accompaniment arranged by her husband Derek. She didn't have to look far to find a simple harpist! I also get the chance to play one of my own pieces and we will do a clarinet and bassoon duo to show just how versatile we both are.

So another week nearly over and just one week to go until the GOAT Reunion Clueless in Competition Performance. With half term coming up I should have more time to write about the build up!

No comments:

Post a Comment