Thursday 13 January 2011

Day 11 - Spiritual leader

As well as the technical practise, preparation for any sort of performance should include a practise run through in front of an audience of some kind. Local flautist Anne has organised a concert for fellow learners to 'perform' one of their set pieces and listen to others. The 'wrecks-ital' as it is to be known will be in February and I've said I'll take part so will have an initial target to work towards. I see Anne on Thursday evenings as I sit behind her in orchestra. She has chosen percussion and has a xylophone and side drum to practise on. She is enjoying it although her husband is getting a bit suspicious each time Anne invites any visitors "up stairs for a bang!" Anne is no stranger to these grade-one-a-thons as she took part in the first one, learning the harp. She is an inspiration as while many parted from their instruments after the grade 1 exam, she continued playing and took her grade 6 last year. She has recently progressed to the pedal harp. As well as being our harp guru she is also my latest sponser so this afternoon's practise is in honour of her!

It was not the most inspiring of practises for the onlooker (or onlistener) as most of the time was on exercises. Having had a busy day in the classroom I was not feeling too inspired to play the pieces so did a variety of patterns and made up my own exercises based on the suggestions from Elaine and Rohan at the lesson. I did a tiny bit more on Rondo and actually managed to fill 30 minutes. In the end it was quite relaxing and needed to be as I had a mountain of other things to do but playing the harp helped me forget all that. As long as I don't check my emails I'll be all right until the morning.

1 comment: