Tuesday 18 January 2011

Day 16 - Intervals

One thing that the harp has over the clarinet, in my opinion, is that you can start your practice while finishing off a biscuit and that's what I did this afternoon. I had my cup of teas while checking my emails and settled down to play. I had another donation, this time from my Nan who has always shown a keen interest in my playing and has helped Mum out with various instrument purchases in the past. When the family got together over Christmas I showed her the harp and asked if she wanted to pluck the strings to try it out. She lost my Grandad last year and is also losing her sight so I wondered if the sound and feel of the harp could have some sort of therapeutic benefit. She said, no, she wasn't bothered but I moved it next to her and said "go on, go on" in my best Mrs Doyle voice and she ran her fingers up and down. Then we couldn't get her off of it and I had to drag it away! This afternoon's session was dedicated to Nanny and went on for 30 minutes. I hadn't planned on doing that much but with low expectations after yesterday it felt really nice to play again. Typical! I had a look at another section in First Harp Book and found a lovely little Slavonic Folk song called Night Song. It featured intervals of thirds and sixths in the right hand with a simple bass line in the left. It was quite melancholy but I enjoyed it. Azaleas in Houston was lovely although I went wrong at a place I've not gone wrong before. This threw me as I wasn't looking at the music. It was better on the second time though. Scales are up to 68 but I keep forgetting to do the arpeggios. They are harder as the stretches are bigger but as I am doing some interval practise maybe they will improve without too much effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment