Sunday 16 January 2011

Day 14 - More with the metronome

With all the teaching, rehearsals and performances I am involved with I tend not to go to as many concerts as I would like. However last night I made a rare appearance in an audience as Chris and I went to see a showing of the 1920s silent movie Nosferatu. I have seen the film before but this version had a pianist, Geoff Page, playing a live improvised accompaniment. It was a great performance and the free ice cream in the interval was a lovely touch!

Today was Sunday and involved another train trip to London for a rehearsal. I had another rehearsal in Cambridge that evening so the early start and late finish only gave me around 15 minutes to fit in some practise but unlike yesterday I had another sponsor. Today's session was dedicated to Martin and Judith, Chris's parents. They are really supportive of my musical endeavours and have seen me in concert. I just hope they didn't read the blog entry about their eldest son causing a fire in the garage... Conscious of the having to catch a train, and that I may have caused a family rift I used the metronome to put scales at 64, Rondo at 64 and Azaleas at 60. At least it looks like progress even if it didn't feel like much today.

On the train I read some more of my book on harps and harpists and learnt about the development of the simple harp to the chromatic harps with several rows of strings as well as the invention of hooks and levers to enable harps to play in various keys. It's been a long day and a long week but as week 2 ends and week 3 begins everything is still going really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment