Tuesday 4 January 2011

Day 2 - First bout of serious practise and a spot of Japanese drumming

Today was the first day back after the holidays and my presence was required at a music service training day, fortunately organised at a venue not too far from home so I managed to do five minutes playing just after breakfast. I did a few exercises using 1, 2 and 3 to practise the technique of re-placing the fingers and checked my fingers, hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders and after correcting the position played my exercises again. I can do it slowly but as I speed up I lose it.

The highlight of the day was a 3 hour session on Taiko drumming and while this energetic, warrior-like drumming may seem far removed from the gentle sounds of the harp there were many similarities involved in the learning of the technique. Our first piece of advice was based on an old proverb:

In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, in the expert’s there are few. – Shunryu Suzuki-roshi.

Wise words indeed, although quite a challenge to accept that it was ok to know nothing. On more than one occasion we were told to let go and follow the various moves and rhythms with as little effort as possible. The less effort we used, the more sound we produced and the better the ensemble. As had been the case yesterday I had posture issues that needed correcting regularly but was able to adjust these myself by the end. Joe who was leading was a brilliant example of what a teacher should do, give clear instructions, be encouraging or reassuring when needed, and lead us to answer our own questions. It was fascinating stuff.

Back home and after throwing my bag on the floor (like an excited school child!) I ran upstairs to the harp. I messed around for a few minutes making some lovely tinkly sounds then did a few exercises using first and second fingers going up and down using a two quaver-crotchet rhythm (or cha-cha chaaa for my musician friends) This is one of the techniques needed for the list C piece ‘Sound the Trumpets’. Most of this looks very straight forward as no more than two notes at a time are played and you can do three of the four lines with just finger 2 but when the quaver rhythm comes in at line three it is a bit fiddly as you need fingers 1 and 2. After tea I did a bit more just with fingers 1 and 2. My technique worked well with one hand so I experimented in doing hands together then doing hands together but at different times. This did seem to require a lot of thought but as I moved my attention to my thumb (to keep it up) it got better. Relaxing and accepting what you are doing helps you focus your awareness on where it is needed. I can get through the whole piece at a moderate pace but there are a few wobbles.

I probably need to do a rough plan for the eight weeks. Earlier today I did wonder whether I should do this piece for a week but by the end of the evening realised the enjoyment may wear thin if I just stick to this one. Trouble is I know I will struggle with finger 4 and am putting off doing that one for now. So half an hour managed today and I have tomorrow at home so may be able to do even more.

The justgiving page is up and running www.justgiving.com/stephanie-reeve/ and I received my first donation! Thanks go to Sue Fitz who also told me I'd be grounded if I didn't do 30 minutes practise. I was ready to stop at 25 but her forceful encouragement made me go on for those extra 5 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment