Sunday 9 January 2011

Day 7 - End of Week 1

I wasn't expecting to do much practise today as I spent most of the time in London doing various things with my bass clarinet. I had planned for days like this and used the time on the train to read my new book – Harps and Harpists by Roslyn Rensch. I was hoping for a nice concise history of the harp's invention and development but of course the harp or at least instruments resembling what we know as the harp have been around for several thousand years. Evidence is around if you know where to look and archaeologists have unearthed paintings, drawings, carvings and in rare cases, remains of actual instruments in places like Mesopotamia (Syria – I had to look that up), Egypt and Israel. In Europe stone carvings, some of them quite weather-worn, can be found in the churchyards of Ireland and Wales, and many religious manuscripts exist across Europe featuring elaborate drawings to accompany text. What is clear is that the harps from the ancient world developed differently to those of Western Europe. The Western ones were a complete triangular frame (sound board, string arm and column) while those of the Ancient world did not have the column. However what they sounded like, what they were tuned to and how exactly they were played is open to speculation and will always do so. Rather than answering my questions I now have more questions. The authenticity of the representations may be questionable but the detail in some examples was quite impressive. As the trains were running to time I only got a little way in.

I played for about ten minutes this evening as I had used up today's concentration reserves rehearsing Mahler's Symphony No. 10. Nevertheless it was an enjoyable ten minutes playing through my two pieces, a C major scale at 54 bpm and Gymnopedie No. 1. Next week I will make a start on the third piece, Rondo, and the next orchestral piece. I have the challenge of playing two notes at the same time with one hand, and replacing the fingers at speed. I also need to find some new sponsors. I was informed that my justgiving link was not visible so I have added this to the side panel. I managed 205 minutes this week but go back to work full time so the real practise challenge starts tomorrow. Will I still have the same enthusiasm this time next week? Tune in again soon to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment