Monday 31 January 2011

Day 29 - Act 2 commences

As the second half of the challenge begins I am aware that the first half went incredibly quickly. Looking back I can say I am very happy with my progress. I have three pieces up to a decent standard and have a spare piece available, I know what I am doing with my scales and I have learnt some other pieces which should stand me in good stead for the sight-reading. I've not done any aural practise yet but discovered the 'spot the difference' test has been made slightly easier from this year. The metronome has been a useful tool in steadily increasing my tempo and I can continue with this for the next few weeks. I have the Wreck-cital to look forward to and will arrange some mini-performances in the rehearsal breaks with two of my adult groups. There are several young families in the surrounding houses so I will invite those around at some point and do a children's concert. If I can cope with an audience like that I'll be onto a winner. I also have an adult clarinet pupil who will be giving a performance in March and we have provisionally arranged a short performance for each other and our other halves. The other halves don't know about this yet but the promise of food and drink will no doubt prevent them from arranging anything else. That, and the threat of taking up the bagpipes next time.

In the meantime the practise and fund-raising must continue and this evening's session is dedicated to Phil and Ali, Chris's brother and sister-in-law. Phil plays the guitar from time to time although I've not yet heard him so I might suggest a joint recital next time we meet up. Ali also has artistic skills and runs a cupcake business (The Messy Cake Co.  if you live in Northamptonshire and surrounding counties). They look and taste fabulous and the decorations and icing designs that Ali creates are quite spectacular. I may have to request that she has a go at some harp related designs… Back to their session and it all went very well. With no concerts to think about and a mid-week lie-in tomorrow it was very relaxed and I did a structured session with warm-up, scales, exam pieces and proper work on Rondo and The Ball, with fun pieces to finish. I think I did half an hour but forgot to check. Phil did suggest that my next challenge should be getting Chris to play the harp but I have a feeling it might be easier for me to swim the Channel. However if it was a midi-harp and had electronic and computer stuff he might be more interested. Which reminds me, Sioned Williams's midi-harp performance of Graham Fitkin's Concerto 'No Doubt' is being broadcast on Radio 3 tomorrow afternoon from around 3.20pm. I will be in my car but will be listening attentively. Will let you know what I think tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment