Thursday 20 January 2011

Day 18 - Extrinsic motivators

I can feel my motivation slowly shifting from internal to external but this is no bad thing. The main drive to practise today is the queue of sponsors keen to become a part of the blog. Time has been set aside for the harp today and tomorrow so as not to keep them waiting. Next to join the ranks were Pat and Martin, fellow grade-1-a-bees. I have known Pat (a flautist now learning the trumpet) and husband Martin (a horn player learning the flute) for a few years and we often meet up and have a lot of fun at various weekend courses. Most of you may have spotted that their respective choices bear a resemblance to their other half's first study and no doubt they have traded lots of tips and advice. I do know that they have been playing duets together, a lovely idea, so to say thanks I arranged a little duet for them to try based on my grade 1 piece, Rondo. It is fairly simple but has some quavers and dynamics and I'm sure they will be amused by the initial direction 'with energy'. My practise session in honour of Pat and Martin began with an E flat scale, up and down several times at 70 bpm, followed by the arpeggio at the same speed but a little scrappier. I should probably slow this down but that means leaning across to change the metronome so I left it at 70. En roulant is a little quicker than yesterday and my fourth finger is working well. Today's practise was more quantity than quality as I found some easier pieces in my book that have the melody in the right hand and simple bass line in the left. I also played a piece in A minor so had to move the G lever to get G sharp. That may not sound like a big deal but it was quite exciting for me!

I am now aiming to get two sessions in tomorrow, one formal with technical exercises and proper work on pieces, followed by an informal messing around session. I'm looking forward to it already. A quick upload of the blog then off to orchestra!

No comments:

Post a Comment