Wednesday 5 January 2011

Day 3 - Planning to plan

This morning's practise was dedicated to Nina who made a donation and reminded me of the times we used to sit in the pub near college moaning that we couldn't get a practise room. What we failed to realise was that those who did get a practise room had been waiting in the practise annex for an hour to book their room rather than sitting in the Angel-in-the-Fields for two hours drinking. These days there is no pub nearby (just Chris's homebrew) so I managed to start my practise quite early. I did some warm ups with fingers 1 and 2 and went for a run through of Sound the Trumpets. This is slow but increasingly accurate so I did another run focussing on "elbows up – shoulders down" and felt quite happy. Until I had a look through the rest of what I will need to do. And remembered I ought to do a plan. Here's a summary of targets:
A. Exam
Three Pieces, with three different techniques
Scales – but just one pattern of fingers
Arpeggios – as with scales, just one pattern to learn
Sight-reading – need to be able to play the pieces I know first!
Aural – should be OK on this. (Might get a pupil to test me which will save me planning a lesson)
B. Concert (Big evening concert taking place after all the exams have finished)
Gymnopedie No. 1 – This is slow and looks easy, but looks can be deceptive
A Fenland Fantasy – This looks harder. There are some chord, arpeggio figures and time changes. There is also a glissando!
Another ensemble piece which should arrive next week

I put everything back into the folder and did some exercises using the third finger. 10 minutes practise in the bag and as Wednesday is supposed to be my admin day I made a start on my very long list of things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment