Sunday 2 January 2011

High expectations

The first (and only) lesson is tomorrow and I have made sure I am as prepared as I can be. The harp is in its case waiting patiently by the front door and I have checked where I need to be and when. Otherwise there is not much else to do as we have been asked not to practise until after tomorrow. I have used today to remind myself what I want to get out of this experience and why I am doing it.

The musical community in Cambridge is quite close and in my six years here I have come across many other musicians, through teaching, performing and professional and social events. There are some great characters and it came as a shock last year to hear that a local horn player, Guy, had suffered a fall at home, injuring his spine. This left him paralysed and he underwent rehabilitation at Stoke Mandeville Hospital. With the help of one or two musical friends Guy decided to help raise funds for the Spinal Injuries Association (one of the leading charities supporting patients through rehabilitation) by repeating the successful Grade-one-a-thon that was held in Cambridge in 2004.  Despite having had his life changed through his accident Guy's positive and upbeat open letter to local musicians inviting us to take part showed remarkable spirit and I admire the way in which he has dealt with such a difficult challenge. In order to support Guy and the many others who need similar support through rehabilitation I will be looking for sponsorship for my grade 1 challenge. I will carry donation forms wherever I go and will shortly set up a page on justgiving.com.

My own personal interest comes from working with adult learners, indeed learners of all ages, as a teacher and ensemble coach and the efforts that many students go to in order to develop their skill is quite amazing. However, if I had a pound for every time that I requested the key signature be observed, or shouted "dynamics" more than once in a five minute spell… well ... enough to buy my own harp probably!

Too many teachers forget what it is to learn and we should all be reminded that learning requires a great deal of patience and an ability to think creatively to solve problems and achieve goals. Hopefully we will become better teachers as a result of learning our new skill. And that involves no cheating! I'd be lying if I said I'd not been tempted to have the odd twang now and again over the last few weeks but the real learning should begin tomorrow.

Over the weeks I hope not just to improve as a player but also to learn a little more about the harp and its history. It is an instrument about which I know very little. I will keep track of my practise and sponsorship raised and hopefully have a lot of fun. Honestly, just how hard can it be!

No comments:

Post a Comment