Saturday 17 January 2015

Day 17


After a lengthy lie in I got up and only really had to time to do some prep for a rehearsal on Sunday before going out for a rehearsal in the afternoon then home for dinner and back out for the concert. In the very short time I had I did the opening of Cross Currents just so that I could say I'd done something!
 
The concert was great. Debussy Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faun is one of my favourites, then Wagner Wesendonck Songs. I hadn't known those before. They were lovely but full of suffering and sad and melancholy subjects. Fortunately the second half livened things up with Stravinsky's Symphony in C. Stravinsky is well known for his time signature changes and one of the movements goes something like 3/8, 5/16, 3/8, 2/8, 7/16, 5/16. It's concentration all the way in this even if your own notes are really easy. The first movement contains one of the longest passage that Stravinsky wrote without a time change. It's all in 4/4 but the notes are not easy in this one so you still have to concentrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment