Sunday 18 January 2015

Day 18

A good rehearsal with Palace Band this morning. All of the adult groups I work with are enormous fun. They work hard but get a lot of pleasure from playing, rehearsing and meeting other similar minded players. The cakes in the mid-morning break are also well worth the early start for the trip to London on a Sunday!

When I started the harp in 2011 I had to learn new techniques, get used to making lots of mistakes, overcome difficulties that others found easy and how to feel nervous when performing something more unfamiliar than usual. This helped me to understand just how band members, often highly qualified or experienced in other fields and professions, feel when taking part in a concert. Understanding that things take time to learn is at the forefront of my mind now. I know how the pieces I have been working on should go but my fingers have not yet got the co-ordination, or the co-ordination is there but it lacks speed. After getting home I had some lunch and got a good 40 minutes in going over Cross Currents and Scarlatti slowly at first then seeing if I could build up speed. This practise session is dedicated to sister Viki and nephew Josh so I finished off with a rough run through of the Indiana Jones theme as that's one of Josh's favourites! Thanks for the donation Viki!

No comments:

Post a Comment